Monday, January 22, 2007
Piyumal Abeysinha Gunawardane, a 3rd year student at the University of Moratuwa, is suffering from a cancer in his tongue and throat area.
At the moment he is in a critical situation at the Gleneagles Hospital, Singapore and needs emergency surgery. Now he is undergoing chemotherapy prior to the surgery. Doctors have estimated a total cost of 6-6.5 million SL Rupees. (US $ 60185 @ 108 SL Rs./US$). (Breakdown: for chemotherapy (2 million) and the surgery (4-4.5 million)).
Piyumal’s parents cannot afford this vast amount of money, his father being a retired stationmaster and mother being a teacher. All his four siblings are still studying.
Today (Jan. 21, 2007) we talked to Piyumal’s sister in Sri Lanka and she informed us that chemotherapy treatment is underway and surgery is yet to be performed for which they need the money most.
If you wish to donate through us, please respond to this email. We will send your contributions to Piyumal’s family;
Or else you can send your donations directly to the following account:
Account No.: 1661497– Bank of Ceylon Bazaar Branch, Matara (current account)
Name: M.A. Gunawardane / S.Gunawardane (Joint Account)
Please feel free to share with interested parties.
Attachments (with a brief description):
1) legal documents.pdf (comprises of letters from the following):
* Engineering Faculty Student Union-University of Moratuwa;
* Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering;
* Registrar, University of Moratuwa.
2) medical documents.pdf (letters from the following):
* Consultant Medical Oncologist of Karmen Wong Medical Oncology Pte. Ltd. – Singapore;
* Dr. Andrew C H See – Senior Consultant Surgeon.
* Letters of Diagnosis from AsiaMedic Specialist Center, Singapore.
3) Letter from the Brother - Chalitha Gunawardane